Monday, February 23, 2015

Still Honeymooning



It's an interesting thing being back here at BYU-Idaho as a married student. You see the deliberate and terribly hidden glances directed to your left hand, specifically the ring finger, with every person you meet.
The boys take the ring on your finger as a big red flashing X covering your face. There was a kid in one of my classes who sat by me every day to discuss assignments. However, one day, after realizing I had a ring on my finger he simply stated, "Dang, I didn't realize you're married, sorry but I need to talk to single girls only;  I really want a wife." And with that I never saw him again haha. Honestly it doesn't offend me, I do find it disconcerting that my conversation is only worth while if I am an eventual marriage prospect, but I get it. I think more guys out here should be that dedicated in finding their wives!
The girls who see the ring on my finger have a completely different response! The single girls love to talk to me about my husband and our dating story story and ask all these details about marriage and our life together. The married girls who realize I'm a member of the club instantly become my friend. Unless they have kids, that's a completely different exclusive club out here that I haven't been initiated into yet :)
One of my classes requires a lot of group work and in my group there is one married guy, 3 single girls, 1 engaged girl, me and one married girl who just had a baby. Somehow when we all get together the single girls start asking us lots of questions and wanting to talk about all sorts of married life things and we accomplish far less than we set out to.
One day in particular was kind of interesting. I was getting ready to actually do our school work when one of the girls asked me, "Are you and Fran still in love? Like are you guys still in the honeymoon stage or is that over already?"
It was kind of a funny question to just throw out there but I think my response was along the lines of, "um..what?" She then restated her question and I just told her, "If by the honeymoon stage you mean am I still obsessed with him? The answer is yes! You'd have to ask him however if he's still obsessed with me."
We continued to talk a little bit more and somehow I was able to reel her back in to the task at hand, Sociology of Religion.
However I went home thinking a lot about what she had asked me.
I remember when Fran and I were getting married hearing the joking yet slightly snide comments along the lines of "just wait till you've been married 10 years with kids, then you will be okay with some space from him" or "you only think that's cute about him because you are newlyweds, just give it a few years". I found it kind of sad how people looked at my love for Fran as juvenile and almost naive. Like I was only crazy about him because I didn't really know what long periods of time felt like with him at this point in my marriage, but just wait.
However I just have to say, I married my best friend (I know a lot of girls say that because it's the 'cool' thing to say but I actually did) and the reason I did that is because I wanted to spend my time with him. I wanted to build a life with him and there's nothing wrong with me being sad when he goes to play soccer for an hour and I miss him. There's nothing wrong with thinking he's the funniest person on this Earth who has the best dance moves and the cutest butt. And there's nothing wrong with being completely obsessed with my husband. And I plan on that never changing. I also promise to never be the lady who looks at a couple crazy in love and thinks, "oh just wait, it's only because they're in the honeymoon stage."

No comments:

Post a Comment